Fall is officially upon us! While I love the long days of sunshine and fun summer brings, autumn truly has my heart. In my opinion, nothing compares to that first crisp fall day and all the season promises to bring. And what do I look forward to the most? Well, I’m glad you asked…
- Decorating for Halloween – Call it brainwashing, but September 22nd has always been my benchmark for fall. And fall means “Halloween”. The first weekend following the 22nd my home suddenly looks like a residence in Halloweentown, full of bats, spiderwebs, and pumpkins.
- Pumpkin Carving – Turning a pumpkin into a gourd-eous creation is what fall is all about for me. I put quite a bit of time and effort into finding the perfect template and beautiful pumpkin to make a spooky creation I can be proud of. I’ve even been known to host a pumpkin carving party to drag my friends into my favorite holiday activity. You can see my past creations in my Pumpkin Carving Gallery here.
- Roasting a Turkey – Turkey is my favorite meat due to its ability to absorb different flavors. Whether I’m hosting Thanksgiving or not, I buy a turkey to make in November. I pull inspiration for recipes from my favorite blogs and websites. Making an overly complicated and flavorful bird is always the goal. Fifteen ingredients and twenty steps? Bring it on. Bonus! The delicious bird provides the base for a week’s worth of frittatas, soups, salads, and sandwiches.
- Hot Chocolate – Truthfully, hot chocolate consumption is a year-round activity. However, once fall comes, the beverage takes on a life of its own. I dress up the chocolate with combinations of different spices. My favorite combinations are cinnamon and nutmeg or cinnamon and pumpkin spice. Regardless, always top the hot chocolate off with a spritz of whipped cream.
- Sweater Weather – I’m a jeans girl – always have been, always will be. So when the chilly weather of fall starts to settle in, I love pairing my jeans with a cozy sweater. I’m not a fan of winter cold, but I love this time of year when it’s just brisk enough to comfortably wear a sweater, now we’re talkin’!
- Football – A lifelong love of football kicks into high-gear during fall. Sundays are spent working my way through my weekly routine to a soundtrack of play calling and whistles.
- Holiday Festivities – My calendar doesn’t fill up just with family events but all manner of fun holiday festivities. Themed races (Turkey Trot, anyone?), pumpkin patches, fall festivals, haunted houses, apple picking, and on and on. There’s so much to do and so little time, but it’s all a blast!
What do you look forward to most this glorious season?